This collection highlights the genius, the tenacity and the achievement of Hispanic culture. For Hispanic readers, the collection promotes pride in their culture; for non-Hispanic readers, it fosters an appreciation and an acknowledgment of—and a respect for—Latinos. The collection comprises the following 6 series. Each book and journal is published in separate editions in English and in Spanish.
Poetry Series Gateways to the Sun
These poetry anthologies are divided in sections featuring poets from various countries from the Spanish speaking world. The sections open with original poems by Alma Flor Ada and F. Isabel Campoy celebrating the poets and the poet’s country of origin. Selected poems by the featured poet completes each section. The contribution of Latinos is acknowledged as well as that of the anonymous poets who created the rhymes of the traditional folklore, enriching our heritage.
- Dreaming Fish | Pimpón
- Laughing Crocodlies | Anton Pirulero
- Singing Horse | Mambrú
- Flying Dragon | Chuchurumbé
Art Series Gateways to the Sun
A wide variety of genres, techniques, media, and historical events in Hispanic art are depicted in these oversize strikingly beautiful books. Each book includes reproductions of paintings selected from the best Hispanic artists of all times, from classical to contemporary. Each painting is accompanied by brief poetic readings.
Each book is paired with an interactive journal where children can learn more about art and begin their own artistic expressions.
- Blue and Green | Azul y verde
- Brush and Paint | Brocha y pincel
- Artist’s Easel | Caballete
- Canvas and Paper | Lienzo y papel
Biography Series Gateways to the Sun
This series offers the biographies of twelve significant figures from various countries in the Spanish-speaking world, representing various fields and occupations. These historical and contemporary figures are role models, who overcame obstacles to make a difference in the world.
- Smiles | Sonrisas [Pablo Picasso/Gabriela Mistral/Benito Juárez]
- Pasos | Steps [Rita Moreno / Fernando Botero / Evelyn Cisneros]
- Voices | Voces [Luis Valdez / Judith F. Baca / Carlos J. Finlay]
- Paths | Caminos [José Martí / Frida Kahlo / César Chávez
Theater Series Gateways to the Sun
Theatrical adaptations of well known stories and folktales as well as original plays are enhanced by beautiful art. The illustrations, by several Hispanic artists, suggest costumes, props and stage designs to help on the staging of the play
- Rat-a-Tat Cat | Teatro del gato Garabato
- Roll ‘n Role | Teatrín de don Crispín
- Top Hat | Escenario de Polichinela
- Curtains Up | Teatro de doña Rosita
Language Series Gateways to the Sun
These fractured fairy tales books bring new twists to the lives of well-loved characters from storybooks. They provide ample opportunities for language development as they use diverse forms of language.
- One, Two, Three… Who Can It Be? | Uno, dos, tres. ¡Dime, quién es?
- A New Home for the Seven Little Kids | El nuevo hogar de los siete cabritos
- Happy Birthday, Little Red Riding Hood | ¡Feliz cumpleaños, Caperucita Roja!
- A New Job for Pérez, the Mouse | Ratoncito Pérez, cartero
Hispanic Lands Series Gateways to the Sun
Three oversize books on the richness and diversity of the Spanish-speaking countries of the Americas. The poetic, but highly informative text, brings attention to the extraordinary achievement of the indigenous people. The striking illustrations are carefully designed by Maestro Felipe Dávalos. They offer ample information to support and enrich the text that reflects on the responses of human groups to the challenges of their environment, and emphasize respect towards diversity, environmental and ecological awareness, community involvement, and appreciation for education.
- The Quetzal’s Journey | El vuelo del quetzal
- On the Wings of the Condor | En alas del cóndor
- Eyes of the Jaguar | Ojos del jaguar
ART DIRECTOR AND ILLUSTRATORS
One of the most salient characteristics of this series is its lavish presentation and the accuracy and authenticity of the illustrations.
Within the expert direction of Maestro Felipe Dávalos a selection of excellent artists from the Spanish-speaking world have created the illustrations for this series. They are:
Orlando Cabañas * Alina Cabrera * Gloria Calderas * Carmen Cardemil * Julián Cicero * Felipe Dávalos * Rapi Diego * Blanca Dorantes * Viví Escrivá * Alain Espinoza * Javier Fregoso * Luis García-Fresquet * Patricio Gómez * Bruno González * Francisco González * Dimitrios Gulbalis * Gabriel Gutiérrez * Isaac Hernández * José Antonio Hernández * María Eugenia Jara * Claudia Legnazzi * Ana López Escrivá * Sandra López Escrivá * Mario Martín del Campo * Enrique Martínez * Manuel Monroy * César de la Mora * Carlos Palleiro * Ricardo Radosh * Beatriz Rodríguez * Pablo Rulfo * Waldo Saavedra * Manuel Alejandro Salgado * Jaramar Soto * Sofía Suzán * Claudia de Teresa * Felipe Ugalde * Rosario Valderrana * Fabricio Vanden Broeck